Scripto | Transcribe Page
Bark Vernon, Page 164 of 256
- If you are not already logged in or registered, please do so on the “Login or Register” tab.
- Type out the text exactly as you read it, including numbers, dates, historic spellings, misspellings, and abbreviations.
- You do not need to include line breaks or other formatting features - this transcription tool will not retain them.
- If you can’t decipher a word, use [illegible] in it’s place. If you think you might know but aren’t sure, place your best educated guess in square brackets, such as [sail].
- If you have a question or comment about the text, use the Discussion field to pose it to other community members.
- Select “Save Transcription” when you are ready to save your edits or additions.
You don't have permission to transcribe this page.
Current Page Transcription [history]
Oh Smile as thou wert want to Smile
Oh, Smile as thou wert want to Smile Before thy weight of care, Had Crushed thy heart and for a while Left only sorrow there.
Some thoughts twere best if we should quell, Some impulse to forget O’er which should memory cease to dwell We may be happy yet. (repeat)
Oh, never name departed days Nor vows we whispered then Round which too sad a feeling plays To trust their tones again! Regard their shadows o'er thee cast As if we ne’er had met And still unmindful of the past we may be happy yet.
[Pencil note following song] We may / shall we, [illegible] we
[Penned note upper left margin] Oh, oh, oh, oh, Bah!
[Pencil note left margin] I never [illegible] Why [no?] Are they [so] painfully dear?
[Penned note left margin] Oh, oh, oh, how very sensitive! Must be fearfully acute
July the 21st this day comences as usual with pleasant gales from South East, I have no incident of importance to note. all hand imployed in various jobs about deck and all posible Sail Set to advantag at 8 P.M. a whale was discovered following the Ship an iron was immediately Procured and a line attached when I Stasioned myself upon the forcastle waiting his aproach after a slight Delay he appeared along Side just forward the fore riging Spouting and Lashing the Sea with his flukes. I threw the iron Strikng him just just abaft his head [which] he no [illegible] a very Strange way of [receiving] his advances and [appreciating] his [gambols]
You don't have permission to discuss this page.