Scripto | Transcribe Page
Unknown Vessel, Page 228 of 256
- If you are not already logged in or registered, please do so on the “Login or Register” tab.
- Type out the text exactly as you read it, including numbers, dates, historic spellings, misspellings, and abbreviations.
- You do not need to include line breaks or other formatting features - this transcription tool will not retain them.
- If you can’t decipher a word, use [illegible] in it’s place. If you think you might know but aren’t sure, place your best educated guess in square brackets, such as [sail].
- If you have a question or comment about the text, use the Discussion field to pose it to other community members.
- Select “Save Transcription” when you are ready to save your edits or additions.
You don't have permission to transcribe this page.
Current Page Transcription [history]
An Act Recognizing the existence of war between the United States and the Confederate States; and concerning letters of Marque, Prizes and prize goods. Whereas the earnest efforts made by the Government to establish friendly relations between the Government of the United States and the Confederate States, and to settle all questions of disagreement between the two Governments upon principles of right, justice, equity, and good faith have proved unavailing by reason of the refusal of the Government of the United States to hold any intercourse with the Commissioners appointed by this government for the purposes aforesaid or to listen to any proposals they had to make for the peaceful solution of all causes of difficulty between the two Governments; And whereas the President of the United States of America has issued his proclamation making requisition upon the states of the American Union for seventy five thousand men for the purpose, as therein indicated, of capturing forts and other strong holds within the jurisdiction of and belonging to the Confederate States of America, and has detailed naval aramants upon the coasts of the Confederate States of America, and raised, organized, and equipped a large military force to execute the purpose aforesaid, and has issued his other proclamation announcing his purpose to set on foot a blockade of the ports of the Confederate States: and whereas the state of Virginia has seceded from the Federal Union and entered into a convention of alliance offensive and defensive with the Confederate States and has adopted the Provisional Constitution of the said states and the states of Maryland, North Carolina, Tennesee, Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri have refused, and it is believed that the state of Delaware and the inhabitants of the Territories of Arizona and New Mexico and the Indian Territory South of Kansas will refuse to cooperate with the government of the United States I these acts of hostilities and wanton aggression, which are plainly intended to overawe, oppress, and finally subjugate the people of the Confederate States and whereas by the acts and means aforesaid, war exist between the Confederate States and the Government of the United States and Territories thereof, except the states of Maryland North Carolina, Tenessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri,
You don't have permission to discuss this page.