Scripto | Transcribe Page
Brig Gem of Beverly, Page 13 of 256
- If you are not already logged in or registered, please do so on the “Login or Register” tab.
- Type out the text exactly as you read it, including numbers, dates, historic spellings, misspellings, and abbreviations.
- You do not need to include line breaks or other formatting features - this transcription tool will not retain them.
- If you can’t decipher a word, use [illegible] in it’s place. If you think you might know but aren’t sure, place your best educated guess in square brackets, such as [sail].
- If you have a question or comment about the text, use the Discussion field to pose it to other community members.
- Select “Save Transcription” when you are ready to save your edits or additions.
You don't have permission to transcribe this page.
Current Page Transcription [history]
Sunday May 18th/51 theas twenty foure houres commence with moderate gales from the N.E. woch on deck imployed in boiling blubber at 7 A.M. got sight Long 89=35 latter part of theas 24 houres quite fresh gales from N.E. so ends theas 24 houres, by Obn Lat 24=16
Monday May the 19th theas twenty foure houres commece and close with fresh gales from the E with a rough sea, got sight at 5 P.M. Long 89=56 also at 6 A.M. Long 89=38 latter part of theas 24 houres all hands imployed in [ink blot on text] Stowing down Oile. the 3 whales made 43 Bbls so ends theas twenty four hours Lat 24=18
Tuesday May the 20th fresh gales throught theas 24 houres 7 A.M. got sight Long 90=05 nothing worthy of remark occurred, fresh gales continue from the East. so ends theas 24 hours Lat 23=43
Wedensday May the 21 theas 24 houres commence and end with with strong gales from the east at midknight strong gales at 7 A.M. got sight Long 90=36 the woch on deck imployed in ships duty in turning in standing riging &c saw two or three peces of squid, struck a porpos and lost him so end theas 24 houres got an observation at 12 Lat 24-10
Thursday May the 22nd theas 24 houres commenced with fresh gales from the E.S.E. got site at 7 A.M. Long 90=14 latter part of theas 24 houres more moderate at 12 O clock got an observation, so ends theas 24 houres Lat 24=19
Friday May the 23rd theas 24 houres commece with a five knot breeze from the E. saw a school of porpeces. fresh breezes from 6 P.M. to 6 A.M. at 7 A.M got sight Long 90=00 woch on deck imployed in ships duty turning in standing riging &c saw a full riged Brig under our lee bow heading to the north fresh gales from East or E by N so ends theas 24 houres at 12 got an observation Lat 25=13
You don't have permission to discuss this page.
Current Page Discussion [history]
We seem to have a new scribe, I presume due to the injured leg mentioned a page or so ago. I have been rendering the word which appears to stand for "watch" as "wach" but now I think that it is written with an "o". Also, I'm still struggling with the verb associated with the oil.